Sunday, July 26, 2009

vanilla plant...

At last, I have a pot of vanilla plant. My sister bought it for me at the Amcorp Mall flea market. The plant cost for RM10 only, kinda cheap for 1ft tall seedling. Last time I found that the price for this size, can cost about RM15-RM18 each. I dunno when I can harvest my very own vanilla pod, but the book said, vanilla plant will take 2 years time to get mature and start fruiting. This is my 3rd time I 'meet' this plant in reality. The 1st time happened when I visited Singapore Botanical Garden during my 2nd year study landscape architecture. I was so amazed that time. The 2nd time, when I was visiting Flower Show. And, today I have my very own plant.
Vanilla (V.planifolia), is actually a member of the orchid family. Vanilla is the second most expensive spice after saffron (I had opportunity to 'touch' the saffron plant when I visited Cambridge Botanical Garden in late 2003). I wish one day, I will have a jar or vanilla sugar which the vanilla pod is from my garden. Yeah...the photo of my vanilla plant will be updated soon.

2 comments:

nor rasidah hashim said...

Acik sudah link dengan your blog. see breathingheritage.blogspot.

zali said...

aku seorang penggemar orkid hutan. aku sanggup masuk kuar hutan demi memburu spesis yg xda lg dlm koleksi aku. salah satu orkid yg pernah aku ada ialah jenis berbau vanilla. bunga cantik warna kuning hehehehe